Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Bye Bye Peace & Quiet, Momma's saving grace Pacifier! Let the Ferberization begin!


Because I have no idea how to raise a child, I get all my info from books. Most recently from "Baby 411" it's pretty much a how to for your babies first year. I also have invested in "Toddler 411". While reading the sleep chapter, I discovered that we do about 8/10 of the "don'ts" in regard to sleep. Despite this fact, Luke sleeps through the night. But the fact that I was doing something "wrong" according to Ari Brown, MD, I of course attempt to fix what ain't broken!

No more snuggling before bedtime until he is almost comatose.

Time to start a consistent nap/bedtime routine. Did I mention he has never had a problem sleeping? Naps or at night?

No more pacifiers. Dr. Ari says to stop at 4-6 months. Don't want to give him a "crutch". He really just used his pacifier to sleep. We put it in his mouth, his head drops and he's out. Every once in a while he loses it at night and squeaks a bit while looking for it. Inevitably Alex or I immediately go to his room, put it back and everyone goes back to sleep. We maybe lose 2 minutes of sleep. Oh, the sacrifices we make for babies! The torture of having a newborn sleep through the night since 2 months old! We have suffered dearly...It must stop!

We took his pacifier away on Saturday. He did fine during the day without it. Then it was time for bed. And here is where the Ferberization begins, and where it all goes downhill.

Dr. Ferber makes crying it out sound pretty cut and dry. Let them cry, periodically go in there room just to make an appearance, they fall asleep. AWESOME! Not so much.

After 5 minutes of crying, Alex went in. Another 10 minutes of louder crying, I went in, emerged in tears myself. I am not used to my baby crying. Did I already mention he sleeps like a dream baby, as long as he has a pacifier? Another 15 minutes of holy terror screaming, Alex goes in. I am now sobbing on the couch. Another 20 minutes of screaming I go in to find him frantically trying to find something to suck on, I apologize profusely, beg forgiveness, wipe away my tears that fell on his head, and leave him once more. Another 5 minutes...asleep. He slept all night, not a peep. And best of all when he woke up he still loved me!!

Night two, we lathered him up with lotion, put on his jammies, read him two books, put him in his bed and he was asleep with no protesting. Again, slept all night!

Last night, same thing! I'm thrilled, except I miss my snuggle time. I liked having him fall asleep in my arms. But we are all sleeping well again. That Dr. Ferber knows what he's talking about!!

I do feel a bit guilty, you know for torturing him for a night all because it's a pain to lose 2 minutes of sleep for a couple times a week. In the end, I suppose it's best to do it early and we'll be glad we did it in the long run. However right now, I could still cry thinking about how confused and hurt he looked when I wouldn't love on him. Poor baby.

No comments: