Monday, December 8, 2008

Why save for college, when you can save for therapy?

We spent this past weekend in Wichita visiting the families and celebrating an early Christmas with Alex's brother Paul and his wife Amy. It was great to see them again and Luke enjoyed meeting his Aunt and Uncle. While we were there, we had Luke's Christmas pictures done. It was pretty funny. They put him in a wrapped box in front of a Christmas tree. He was asleep, and when he woke up, he was definitely surprised to be in a box, and not so excited about it. So of course the next logical step would be to dress him up as a snowman for more pictures. If only he could have seen how adorable he looked, then he might have played nicer. I'm pretty sure when he's older, he will hate me for that snowman outfit. That will probably take up most of his first therapy session.

Because we hadn't tortured him enough, we decided to go to Botanica to see the Christmas lights. I wanted Luke to go because he likes looking at lights, of course he would enjoy it. Per usual, he fell asleep in the car. Imagine how happy he was to wake up to a blast of freezing cold air. As soon as the car door opened, the screaming and gasping began. Nothing calmed him down. We had the car seat cover to keep him warm, he didn't appreciate it either. I kept trying to force his pacifier in his mouth, mostly to muffle the screams, but it was dark and I was working with a little hole in the cover and it seems I was trying to force it up his nose. Again, not amused with me. While in line for tickets, we decided it was probably not a good idea to walk him around for an hour looking at lights he obviously didn't care to see. As soon as we turned to walk back to the car, the crying stopped and he was sound asleep. It was traumatic for all involved. I would like to apologize to Amy and Paul, I hope you get to go back and see the lights and I'm sorry you will be included in his second therapy session. Let's just hope he doesn't have flash backs next time he sees Christmas lights.
Luke in the box

My little Frosty

No comments: