Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I smell bacon

We had a good time last night. Luke finally went to bed after a bit of a cranky day-think his teeth are moving again :( We did breakfast for dinner; French toast and yummy bacon. We curled up on the couch to watch a movie. Around 9:30 I could barely keep my eyes open and was sent to bed. I woke from a very peaceful sleep, looked up at my ceiling at the soft blue glow of my projection clock. 7:15! Wow, what a great night of sleep! Luke never even made a peep. Due to the lack of "peeping" from him, I wanted to go check and make sure he wasn't trying to smother himself, then I heard a small peep and my mind was put at ease.

I love the projection clock, it allows me to see the time without the burden of turning my head to look at my clock. You just open your eyes! The only down side to the clock is for those, like me, who are near sided. Usually I can make it out. It's sometimes tough to distinguish 5 from 6, but I make due. Well come to find out, it was not 7:15, it was 1:15 and I was wide awake. I must have been verbal with my disappointment because Alex woke up and I said "Do you know it's 1:15?" He responded "Thanks" and went back to sleep. He's not helpful.

So as I stared at my projection clock, secretly cursing it, I began to think of things. Lots of things. Like, "I hope Luke isn't trying to smother himself". So I woke up Alex to ask if he removed all the blankets from his crib when he put him to bed. He said he laid him on the blanket, and then promptly went back to sleep. Now I have a visual of my little Houdini managing to get his arms free of his swaddle blanket a.k.a. straight jacket, and pulling the blanket out from under him and covering his head with it. So yes, I got up to remove the blanket.

2:45am I had this conversation
Me: (whispering with authority) Alex?
Alex: Yeah?
Me: I smell bacon
Alex: Yeah?
Me: I think that's why I can't sleep.
Alex: Oh yeah?
Me: Yeah. Do you have that problem?
Alex: Being unable to sleep due to the smelling of bacon? No.
Me: Okay. night-night.

3:40am
Me: Alex?
no response...

I finally fell asleep somewhere around 4:15 only to be awaken by screaming from Luke. He's been spitting up A LOT lately and after 4 outfit changed for Luke and 3 for me, I decided I would try a sample of the soy formula. It says on the label for "Fussiness, gas, and spit up"...sounded good to me! He ate it down with no problem. Until apparently 4:30. He was arching his back, pulling his legs up, screaming a totally new scream. I rocked him for an hour and a half until he calmed down. Of course I cried because it was my fault. I would have rather changed clothes all day than see him like that. So I got to bed a little before 6am. Luke woke up at 6:30.

He's still upset about the whole thing. We're staying in our jammies today and watching CNN. I even let him sleep next to me in bed, seeking forgiveness. I just wanted him to sleep. Of course I didn't sleep for fear of smothering him. It's proving quite hard to be a Mom and a Labor & Delivery and Neonatal nurse. I know everything I shouldn't do. He's now sleeping in his bed,stripped of all blankets, so here's hoping I can get a little nap in before he's up again. However, I do still smell bacon...

1 comment:

mattjustmull said...

Mandi and I only oven bake bacon, because fried bacon smell fills the house for days.