Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Go Ahead, Laugh. Everyone else is...

I think one of my better qualities is my ability to laugh at myself. I think everyone should be able to do that! I tell Alex all the time that he just needs to accept that it's funny when he does or says something less intelligent than he should. Like when I asked him to get the diet cokes out of my trunk and he stared at me like he was confused yet trying really really hard to figure out where my trunk was. To stop his brain from spinning I clarified "the trunk of my car". Like I had a steamer trunk full of diet coke stashed somewhere in the house. I love him.

It seems I laugh at myself quite a bit. Like the time I was chasing a "lost" dog in a busy intersection while in my bathing suit only to discover it was not the dog we were looking for(We did however drive it home). Or, like the time ER called and asked if we could send down some jelly for a patient, so of course I sent down some KY jelly only to find out she wanted grape...for her toast. Embarrassing? A bit. Funny? Heck yeah! My fault? Nope. I'm sorry, you call the labor and delivery floor and ask for jelly, that's what you're getting! You want grape, call the cafeteria. Or that time at the Court House where I had to take my sandals off because they kept setting off the metal detector. Now, these were my favorite black sandals, they were perfect, except for one tiny thing. They stained the top of my feet black so they looked filthy! It was hilarious!!

The most recent of these escapades happened today. I stopped at the scrap booking store before I went to get my hair cut. I put my purchases in the trunk (this is important to the story). I left the salon went to my shiny Barcelona Red Prius, pulled on the door handle...nothing. So I moved my big ole diaper bag directly in front of the door so it would recognize the key...nothing. So I start digging through bibs, and burp cloths, and pacifiers and toys. While doing this, I see there is no car seat in the back. Oh well. I can't find my keys! So I go back in the salon, they're not there. I go to the scrapbook store next to the salon, they're not there either. So I look in the trunk (not the steamer trunk) to see if I left them in there when I put my purchases in it. Nope, not there. Neither was my stroller or purchases. But does that register to me? Nope. So I continue to walk around the car trying other doors, like that would suddenly work. I begin digging again and Hoorah!! found the keys. Still couldn't get in. I was totally baffeled. And then I saw it, mocking me from inside the car. A large Taco Bell cup! I don't eat Taco Bell for 2 reasons 1. I don't eat orange meat and 2. They serve Pepsi products.
I finally look up to see about 4 cars down another shiny Barcelona Red Prius. I creep over cautiously. I see a stroller in the trunk, a car seat in the back, but what hit it home? A Sonic Diet Coke in the front. Sweet Fernando, I found you! I got in the car and laughed and laughed. I didn't have the heart to look back to see if anyone was staring at me or not. What I found most sad about this story is that not seeing the carseat or stroller wasn't enough to make me realize it wasn't my car, it was the drink! Good times.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you get into the trunk of someone else's car?

Zoe said...

I didn't get into the trunk, I looked in it through the window. The shade thing wasn't pulled so I could see what was in there.

Alex (King Lumi) said...

I do find my temporary idiocy amusing. I just don't find it so amusing that I laugh as hysterically as my lovely wife does when I do screw things up.

Oh, and the word verification for this post is "kinglumi". From my next post on, I will be using the pseudonym "King Lumi" when commenting on this site.